Blog Archive

Sunday 22 October 2017

DONE: Double Bubble - No.3: Couch to 5k AND No.35: Light up Cardiff 5k


Well!  I can't quite believe that I am finally able to say I have successfully completed the Couch to 5k running programme.  And, finished it with my first ever proper running race, the Light Up Cardiff 5k.  To say I'm chuffed is an understatement!

Initially I only included C25k because so many other birthday challenge lists all seemed to include really impressive sporty achievements.   I didn't feel that it was realistic for me to all of a sudden decide to run the London Marathon, not this year anyway, and if I wanted to sign up for a few fun 5k runs then realistically I'd have to start from the beginning - hence C25k.  I've never been a runner or an athlete or a sporty person.  When I was young I was a dancer and trained for 16 years or so, I was fit then.  Also, I'm walking fit and have completed 3 power walking marathons - yep, the full 26 point something miles - and these each involved 3 months dedicated training plans but running......By the way, this photo below isn’t because I’m an exhibitionist - the Moonwalk London is a power walking marathon for women and you all walk in decorated bras!





The C25k programme I'd heard so much about and it's been going for years so it must work?  Surely?  It's a 9 week programme and involves going out 3 times each week to walk/run for a total of 30 minutes each time.  In actual fact it has taken me quite a bit longer than the 9 weeks as I did feel the need to repeat a few of the weeks.  That's the amazing thing about the programme, it's up to you to see how you feel and if you need an extra week, or two, or three, well, you can.

So, 18th July, I went out for my very first attempt at running - at the age of 49, a heavy smoker for 30 years - how hard could it be?  I'd invested in proper running leggings, a couple of t-shirts, an ipod armband thingy and then the most important piece of kit - a reinforced, feat of engineering - the sports bra!  Oh my goodness ladies - this is SOOOO important.   Those puppies were not able to move an inch with a proper sports bra on. 

So, out we went - thankfully and amazingly Stewart agreed to follow the programme with me.   If you download the NHS C25k training app you get the choice of four 'trainers'.   Choose from Jo Whiley, Michael Johnson, Sanjeev Kohli or Sarah Millican.  It was a tough one - Sanjeev Kohli is an actor from two of my favourite programmes (Scottish telly) River City and Still Game, but, I went with Sarah cos she doesn't look a runner so I thought she might sound a bit more understanding along the way and she was.  We got called 'Flower' and 'Petal' and she was the right type of soothing and encouraging voice. Even though I did swear at her a lot when she would say 'only another 60 seconds to go, come on you can do it' - ANOTHER FREAKING 60 SECONDS, YOU BITCH, I'M DYING OUT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

So, Week 1-4;  These are basically running short distances, walking in between, running again etc and building up from running 60 second bursts, to 90 second bursts, to 3 minute bursts to 5 minute bursts.  Always interspersed with walking.  Without question, these first four weeks for me were the hardest.  Looking back, I now laugh at the fact I cried and swore at having to run for only 5 minutes at a time but really, when you are a complete beginner these are the toughest weeks. You still don't think you can do it, what is coming in front of you seems impossible and I railed against it all. But, each week, Sarah Millican was there saying 'come on pet, you can do it'.

Just so I don't write way too much without making this a pretty blog, these are the random photos I took during my last few months of trying to become a runner:



Week 5 - you look ahead at what you're going to be doing and everybody without question during Week 5 goes WTF???  Week 5 is infamous!   You build up to doing two 10 minute runs and all of a sudden and from out of nowhere they chuck in a 20 minute continuous run!  Wait a second - the longest we've managed till now in a wunner is 10 minutes and all of a sudden you think I can keep going for 20 minutes??? Are you mad?  Actually, by the time you reach this point, Week 5, you're pretty determined and focussed - you've already done so many runs and have got into a routine and this is the make or break point - so, one Friday evening we went out to see if we could run for 20 minutes non-stop and you know what, we did it!  Kind of easily.  And from then on in, you're a runner, sort of.

After completing the 20 minute run you've definitely reached a certain point where you swear less, argue less and just try and let your legs - and lungs - get on with it.  Weeks 6-9 are definitely the easiest - even though technically they are now the hardest as they are the longest runs - but - you now just go out and run and don't get walking breaks.  By now, you get the fact that running is all about putting one leg in front of the other while remembering to breath and accepting that you can keep breathing while running - if you know what I mean.   I did repeat a couple of weeks in this period - either because I'd struggled, or I was poorly, but you just keep going.  I'd say that the key to having a successful C25k plan is to understand that it's not miraculous, you do have to go out 3 times a week, you do have to put the work in, you are going to hate it at times, but it works.  It bloody well works. Getting through this programme involved blood, sweat and tears - and I'd add in copious amounts of snot.  The blood - well, unfortunately in Week 8 I got bit/nipped by a dog.  A very unfortunate incident - I'm still sporting a bruise 10 days later.  But, was it all worth it? You bet - the feeling when you've just completed a run you didn't initially think you'd manage - the high fives between me and Stewart when we both did well, and the knowledge that 3 months ago I cried at trying to run for 60 seconds at a time and now I can run for 30 minutes non-stop - priceless.

ANWAYS, I know this is a very wordy account but we're nearly at the end.  So, dun, dun, duuuuun - the day was approaching where I would be able to do my final, graduation C25k run.  If it hadn't been for repeating some weeks, this would have been 'just another run'.  However, the timing worked out that my final C25k run actually became my first planned 5k fun run - Light Up Cardiff.  Number 35 on my task list.  So Friday evening this week, right at the start of Storm Bloody Brian, I had to get my nervous ass down to Cardiff Bay.



There were a few hundred folk signed up to do it - we were given flashing arm bands, we started from a pub, it was for fun, the weather was bloody atrocious but I had absolutely nothing to lose so I went past the starting line - with Sarah Millican's encouraging voice in my ear - and I ran, and I kept running even while being lashed by torrential rain and wind.  I kept going.  I think it was the thought of getting a shiny medal and getting out of the rain, and the fact I knew I'd planted a celebratory tinnie of Malibu and Pineapple in my sports bag for when I finished - I kept going - one foot in front of the other and keep breathing.   And it worked.   35 minutes in , I crossed the finish line.  HUZZAAAAHH.   I was SO happy.  C25k has been very worth the effort.  I never thought truly, that I had it in me, but I did.  And I'm proud.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...