Blog Archive

Thursday 15 March 2018

DONE: The New No.16: Watch 50 Childrens TV Shows from the 60s and 70s



Hello again.  So, this week's 'challenge' is a new item on the list.   I'm having to think quickly on my feet in order to come up with achievable things which can count towards my end goal of 50 Before 50.  Time is running out! 

But, this was always on my reserve list.  I suppose at this moment in time I should actually be trying to get out and about and walk and get fresh air, but what the heck, I've spent a lot of time over the last month going through childhood items and feeling nostalgic so I thought I'd indulge.  Hence this task to 'Watch 50 Childrens TV Shows from the 60s and 70s. 




I was born in 1968 so straddle both decades though really I'd have to say that I was a child of the 70s.  A cracking time to be a child, you were still allowed to donder about on your own far and wide and go on adventures and be outside nearly all the time playing - either skipping ropes, elastics, balls, hopscotch and all sorts of made up games.   As long as you were back in time for tea.




The 60s and 70s, I think, were a bumper times for childrens TV, especially here in the UK.  From cartoons, to dramas to magazine shows it was a really inventive period.  I tried as much as possible to stick with 'first' episodes, though I specifically chose the last episode of Lost Islands cos I don't actually remember ever finding out what happened to the children! Trying to whittle the list down to 50 was hard though,  I couldn't find all programmes on my initial list, the main one which has proven elusive to find was The Double Deckers.  Ach well, here's the list of the 50 I DID watch:

1. Andy Pandy                                                    
2. Bill and Ben                                                
3. Camberwick Green                                     
4. Chigley                                                       
5. Trumpton                                                        
6. Pogles Wood                                                   
7. Tales from the Riverbank                           
8. Noggin the Nog                                          
9. Ivor the Engine                                           
10. Bagpuss                                                         
11. The Clangers                                                 
12.The Herbs                                                       
13. Paddington                                                     
14. Wombles                                                    
15. Paperplay                                                       
16. Pipkins                                                           
17. A Handful of Songs                                       
18. Barnaby the Bear                                           
19. Rainbow                                                         
20. Hickory House                                               
21. Jamie and the Magic Torch                            
22. Chorlton and the Wheelies                             
23. Playschool                                                  
24. Mary, Mungo and Midge                                
25. Crystal Tips and Alasdair                           
26. Ludwig
27. Captain Pugwash
28. Hong Kong Phooey
29. Noah and Nelly
30. Rhoobarb 
31. Banana Splits
32. Bod
33. The Flumps
34. Mr Benn
35. Fingerbobs
36. Hectors House
37. Magic Roundabout
38. Mr Men
39. Grange Hill
40. HR Pufnstuf
41. Rentaghost
42. Robinson Crusoe
43. The Lost Islands
44. Wait Till Your Father Gets Home
45. White Horses
46. Why Don't You
47. Worzel Gummidge
48. Cheggars Plays Pop
49. Take Hart
50. Lizzie Dripping

And I seemed to have ended up with a number 51, How We Used To Live, which was actually a Schools history programme drama but I always loved it as a child and the episode I watched was about the suffragettes and as that was part of a long running joke/argument between me and my Mum it seems apt.

So there you go.  The complete list of programmes.   Watching a lot of these programmes were really evocative and I could just imagine sitting in front of the telly - probably black and white to begin with - eating my Freddo chocolates and drinking my cremola foam. 




What did I find most interesting watching these again as a grown up - well, I don't consider myself a grown up even now, but suppose I am compared to my 70s self - in no particular order:

Funniest - Chorlton and the Wheelies. I laughed my head off watching this, love Fenella the Welsh Witch.   Andy Pandy and Bill and Ben both came close though.   Trying watching those without laughing.
Most Disappointing - Banana Splits. This was one of my favourites as a kid but this time round I actively disliked the whole programme.
Scariest - Noggin the Nog.  Terrified me as a child, still did as an adult.  And, don't watch Lizzie Dripping on your own at night either.   The witch in it is quite frankly terrifying!
Most Annoying - Mary, Mungo and Midge.  This bothered me as a child who was themselves growing up in a tower block. She didn't have to share a bedroom AND she had a playroom AND she was allowed a pet dog!!!
BESTEST EVER - Robinson Crusoe.  Loved this a child and it is still amazing.  I even own the DVD and the soundtrack.   Best music ever though the theme tune to Lost Islands comes close.


Hope some of these bring back memories - to those of you who were lucky enough to be children in the 70s that is!!!

Lesley
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...