Blog Archive

Sunday 25 March 2018

DONE: No.48 - Snowboard


What a beautiful day it has been here in Cardiff!  This challenge was supposed to happen earlier this year but had to be postponed because of the sudden death of my Mum.  Wasn't sure if I'd keep it in, but, we did decide to go ahead.

So, off we went this afternoon to the Cardiff Ski and Snowboard Centre, a really friendly and cool wee place that I previously didn't even know existed!  I've always had it on my travel bucket list that I'd love to go snowboarding in Andorra - a fairly random to thing to want but it's there nonetheless. 

When we first arrived at the centre we were given knee pads to put on and our snowboarding boots - this was a bleeding challenge in itself and you needed a degree in Engineering just to work out how to put them on, but finally we managed.


Once we were kitted out we were taken to a fairly flat part of the slope and after being taught how to .
lock and unlock our boots on the board - also freaking difficult - the first thing we were taught was how to fall!  Oh, dear......  We were taught how to best fall forwards, and backwards.  Hands in fists and land on your bum or your forearms and knees.  The way to learn this is to do it, so we had to intentionally throw ourselves on to the ground!  Early days, but I'm sure I'll have a bruised bum tomorrow.


I thought as absolute beginners we'd probably only be allowed to play around on the flat part of the slope, but no, you've got to be adventurous so we spent most of the day probably half way up the slope.   The amazing thing was, it was only the two us, so it was basically private tuition provided by the lovely young Ollie, a gorgeous young man with patience and humour, and great at encouragement.  I loved him.



So, now we were half way up the slope you are taught how to stand up from the sitting position - I couldn't manage, I always needed a hand up, and we were also taught an amazing manoeuvre which was to be sitting facing forwards and then somehow roll over while the board is stuck to your feet and end up facing backwards.  I'm SO sad that Stewart wasn't able to capture this on film as I reckon I was being as graceful as a beached whale, but I could actually do this.  We actually spent a fair amount of time sitting on our bums as you have to keep unbuckling yourself from the board and have to sit down to lock yourself back in.  It's pretty technical stuff and not entirely straight forward.



But anyways, we then got to go down the slope loads of times, I can't entirely remember the technical terms but we did toe things and heel things, we went down sideyways, backwards and then started to learn how to change direction - point in the direction you want to go and lean on the leg, you kind of look like a demented superman.


I must say that I was in awe of Stewart, he was an absolute natural, could stand up by himself and pretty much did all his runs completely unaided.  Me, I felt more comfortable with the lovely young Ollie keeping an eye on me but I definitely did build confidence as we went on.




 
 
So, eventually, our time was up.  Ollie said that we had both been really quick learners, Stewart in particular, but he was complimentary about me too, don't know how much of that was just his brilliant customer service ability, or maybe it's just that now when do things and try things we properly go for it.  It wasn't an easy thing to do and the risks of hurting yourself were real but quite frankly, you do just have to get on with it and go for it and try.  This was a fun day and something I think we'd both like to do again.
 
Cheers everyone, see you soon.
Lesley
x
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...