Blog Archive

Sunday 18 June 2017

Monthly Task With an International Flava - No.14 Culture Challenge


Was going to call these my monthlies but not sure that's such a good idea. But basically, as well as having one off things to do, long term ongoing tasks I also have three things I'll be doing each month. For a year. So you'd think 12 things? Nope - started one month ahead of time so will now be reading 14(?) books in translation, watching 14 foreign language films and cooking Stewart - lucky thing - 14 meals with an international flava. 

I've somehow ended up with an international theme going on but considering my working background and my love of travel I'm happy with this, particularly the films. Working in an international film school for 14 years surrounded by immensely talented filmmakers and writers from all corners of the globe, it's about time I really got to grips with world cinema.

So one Saturday each month I position myself as close to my telly as possible - have to, got really bad eyesight to be honest so I need to be that close to read the subtitles.  But I'm managing. I've really been enjoying my film afternoons and I think because you seriously need to concentrate I'm actually getting more out of the films.  I will be travelling all round the world in film and have picked the 14 already. So:

April - France - Jules et Jim
May - Italy - La Dolce Vita
June - Mexico - Pans Labrynth
July - Brazil - City of God
August - South Africa - Tsotsi
September - Japan - Spirited Away
October - China - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
November - Wales - Hedd Wynn
December - India - Queen
January - Germany - Goodbye Lenin
February - Iran - A Taste of Cherry
March - Denmark - My Life As A Dog
April - Russia/Soviet Union - Battlleship Potemkin
May - Nigeria - Osuofia in London

That's it for this week's blog. Feel it's going to seem quiet for a wee while but that's mainly because I've got a fairly realistic schedule that I've been sticking to. But, I'll be cooking and reading and watching movies every single month anyway. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...