Blog Archive

Monday 12 June 2017

DONE: No.13: Collect 50 Shiny New Pound Coins and Donate to Charity

June is going to be a quiet month task wise but at least I managed to finish one ongoing thing which was to collect 50 shiny new pound coins. Started this as soon as I initially started the whole year's countdown which coincided with the new pound coins being issued. Should have thought this one through cos the Royal Mint is actually only about 20 minutes away from us, in Llantrisant. Apparently if you go on the guided tour you get to strike your own coin. Might still do it at some point.

Took me the whole two months to get the 50 coins but you don't notice a quid here and there. So finally have the full amount.



The most difficult, the only difficult thing, was trying to decide on which charity to send the money to.   So many out there I feel I'd like to support but when it came down to it, I chose Brainwave, which is a charity to support disabled children and children with specific needs and one which my brother-in-law has effectively dedicated most of his entire working life to.  And, he puts his money where his mouth is, having only last year taken part in the Welsh Velothon an excruciatingly hard cycle ride. In fact, it was his involvement in the Velothon last year which has lead me to include that as part of my own 50 list.  Nope, I'm not getting on a bike, no way, no sirree but instead I have volunteered to help man the final feeding station up Caerphilly Mountain.  That takes place in a few weeks time.

There are a couple of items on the list where I automatically also have to raise money for specific charities, but if there is any other task where I might be able to make a few bob Brainwave will be the one I'm supporting. The difference they make to a child's general standard of living is immense.  I'll probably talk more about the work they do over the next year.  If you're interested the website is: www.brainwave.org.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...