Blog Archive

Tuesday 8 May 2018

DONE: No.34: Canoe Down the River Wye


Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream....well, in this instance it was the River Wye in Herefordshire,  a beautiful part of the country.  We went for our canoeing adventure on Bank Holiday Monday and the weather was AMAZEBALLS! 

Chose a half day, eight mile stretch of the River Wye.  You start from the most beautiful wee place called Symonds Yat.

First of all, we arrived at the base for the company we used, Canoe the Wye

Got ourselves signed in, were advised to go for a walk to the river so that we would recognise the landing point on the way back - basically we knew we'd have to 'look for the big rocks' and a pebbly beach which would probably be rammed with loads of ankle biters paddling in the water. After we familiarised ourselves with this we went back to get our kit.   Lifejackets, paddles, and a big dry barrel that we could store our stuff in so it would be safe and dry, should we capsize.  No bloody way! I had no desire to fall in.  We were also given a 'map'. 

I've never been able to remember the difference between kayaks and canoes, but for us it was Canadian canoes - we went with my stepson and daughter in law, Gareth and Chelsea, who incidentally also joined us for the Segway challenge AND the Bird of Prey day as well.   So, two canoes for us, a couple in each.  This is what I mean:

By the way, for this blog I'm pretty gutted - because of the potential risk of capsizing, I woosed out and locked my camera in the dry barrel which is such a shame as I could have taken so many cool pictures.  Instead I only have a few photies. So we eventually got geared up:



There was then a safety briefing which was fun, and useful, we were told what we should do should we capsize, how to best avoid capsizing and then how to steer.  Then got in a boiling hot minibus for the short drive to Kerne Bridge which would be our starting point.
It was when we reached Kerne Bridge, our starting point, that I realised that perhaps this wasn't the best idea I've ever had.  Everybody was supposed to muck in to get the canoes off the trailer and down to the launch area.  Now, I totally believe in team work and mucking in, and I really really WEALLY wanted to help, but I couldn't.  I tried, but had to stand back.  Why?  Think I've mentioned it before but I've got a bit of a screwed right arm and shoulder.  And have had for three years now.  It took a while to eventually get a diagnosis but I basically developed a pretty bad case of something called frozen shoulder, which is over quickly for some people, but for others like myself it can take three to five years to resolve - and even then I will never completely regain full use and strength. I've described it before like being my 'broken wing'.  So basically, canoeing was maybe not my cleverest idea!  But - haven't let it stop me trying things before and was happy to give this a go.

So eventually, off we went.  Me and Stewart in one canoe, Gareth and Chelsea in the other.   Because in Canadian canoes you have one paddle per person I had thought that I could use my good arm and be OK, but for 10 miles there's no way you could keep that up so I had no choice but to keep swapping.  Stewart knows that I was trying my best and paddling away but I don't think he was that impressed with how much it was actually working or getting us anywhere!  But I like to think he couldn't have done it without me.   I have no photos of us - camera being locked in the dry barrel -  but try and use your imagination and pretend these are us.


Even though it was truly bloody hard work, it was just such a glorious day and the scenery down the river is just gorgeous.  It was SOOO peaceful, well, it was when Stewart wasn't belting out the theme tune to Hawaii 5-0!  We saw lots of wildlife, the obvious ducks and geese and swans and also pheasants, and cows and sheep actually in the water trying to cool down. Symonds Yat is famous as well for its peregrine falcons but we didn't spot any.   When you do this trip it is possible to stop off at a couple of places for a rest and a picnic but we just kept going.   It was quite tough and the boat wasn't the most comfortable.  And my right arm was in absolute agony, but as it was my idea in the first place I pretty much had to put up and shut up.  Eventually, after probably a couple of hours, we spotted the big rocks and headed for the landing bitty which DID have a lot of ankle biters in the water, we just had to shout at them to get out the way, and QUICK as the canoes are big and heavy and could easily take out little uns.  I'd say that from a physical point of view this was probably the toughest challenge for me.  My shoulder has impinged on some of the things I've done previously - archery, the indoor skydive - even the zipwire - but this is where it was most noticeable.  But, I'm not whinging, it didn't stop me and thankfully I had Stewart to help.  Once we were all back on dry land it was straight to the famous Symonds Yat riverside pub, Ye Olde Ferrie Inn for pints and wine.  We'd so earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...