Blog Archive

Sunday 10 June 2018

DONE: A Tale of Two Walks - No.38: Cardiff Poppy Walk 10k and No.45: Processions-100 Years of Womens Suffrage

A tale of two walks, each for different but equally important causes.  One done yesterday, Saturday 9th June, one done today Sunday 10th June. 

Lets start with yesterday - the Cardiff 10k Poppy Walk being done for the British Legion.  My Dad was in the RAF (as was my Welsh Dad), my great uncle died in 1918 during World War One and Stewart's uncle was a young lad celebrating his 19th birthday on the beaches on D-Day.  So, the Poppy Appeal has always had significance.  But, yesterday, it was actually all about fun and exploring Cardiff city centre.  It wasn't a straightforward 10k, there was no great 'set off' instead when you signed in you were given a map and a list of questions to find around the route.  I did this on my own, without Stewart's supervision - me and maps and directions, don't work!

And don't worry - I don't have a lot to say about this walk, nor many photos either.  I basically turned up to Cardiff Castle to register, was given my t-shirt and a map with questions, and a poppy.

Then I was basically off.  Not much to show for the rest of this walk.  I was on my own and I was on a mission to get round the course as quickly as I could, without adding too much mileage by getting myself lost.  To begin with I was OK, we started through Cardiff Civic Centre and main shopping areas both of which I know pretty well considering I work here.   First quiz question stop was the National Welsh War Memorial where we were to place the poppies we had been given. After that, I did my best to keep going and not get lost.  I did - once. South of central station on the way to Cardiff Bay.  I've been to Cardiff Bay many times but by train, never by walking and they did take us off the beaten track.  Discovered a canal which feeds the dock area and it was a revelation - seriously big posh houses and quite serene.

When I actually made it to Cardiff Bay I came across loads of other people wearing the poppy walk t-shirts, all taking it easy and stopping for a bit of lunch.  I didn't - maybe a mistake in hindsight - instead I decided to keep ploughing on.  So, from the Bay you had to head straight back into town, mainly along the Taff Embankment walk, again, an area I've never played in so that was quite enjoyable.  Eventually I reached the finish point which was back at the castle.  I asked if I was one of the last to arrive, I found out I was one of the first!  Though, later on, and through today, I wish I had taken it a bit more easy.  Even though I've done a lot of walking this year it's a very long time since I 'powerwalked'.  I'm suffering now.  Still, when I finished I went straight to a pub for a sit down and a cooling refreshment.  We were given a medal for doing this walk and I am glad I managed to fit a 10k in - even though initially I hoped I'd be up for a 10k run, not a walk.  Unfortunately events have transpired that I'm some way off running 10k. Still, I felt satisfied with my efforts.


So, straight to today, the Processions March which was a living art event taking place simultaneously in each capital city of the UK - Edinburgh, Belfast, London AND Cardiff. Processions was celebrating 100 years of womens suffrage.  Even though I would always have been interested in this, I particularly wanted to to do for a specific reason.  Not sure if you know or not, but there was a running argument between me and wee Joycie for over 40 years - I swear, and have always swore that wee Joycie told my seven year old self that she'd BEEN a suffragette and chained herself to the railings.  She consistently denied this but I'm not sure.   Now I know she wasn't a suffragette, she wasn't that old, but I'm so convinced she told me she was. However, it did mean that I was aware of the suffragette movement from a very young age so it's a positive thing.  Today's event, I'm not going to say too much about it, just going to share some photos.  Again, I did this walk on my own, it started from Cardiff City Football Stadium and we processed, in glorious sunshine through Grangetown, through the city centre to Bute Park.  It was an amazing day and an amazing friendly atmosphere.  I loved this.  But please, just enjoy the photos:








No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...