Blog Archive

Saturday 27 May 2017

DONE: No.17 - Have A Go At Glassblowing


Have a go at glassblowing, nope, no idea where this idea came from but it may turn out to be one of my better ones! I am SO very glad we did this.

We chose to go to the Original Bristol Blue Glass studio which was a wise choice. Right from my first phone enquiry these guys couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating.  We booked to visit on Wednesday and had an easy trip through to Bristol and found the studio easily.


When we got there we got taken downstairs to the actual glass studio where a group of talented glass blowers were all busily working away. Was really surprised at how young they all were but as I'm doing these tasks cos I'm nearly 50 I guess it's not surprising really! But these guys are hugely talented and skilled  as can be seen by the beautiful items we passed in the shop.   The studio space is relatively small but hot, unsurprisingly.  Must be such thirsty and difficult work, particularly in the summer, when we get one!


Myself and Stewart both got the chance to make/create/blow our own glass baubles. I was really surprised that it doesn't take a lot of breath. Gently, gently is the way.  As novices it was a two person job and to be honest, it was Jay, our friendly glass blower who was doing the shaping and controlling the molten glass. 1200 degrees is the temperature required to make the glass pliable. Unfortunately I forgot to ask what it is that gives their glass the striking blue colour.



 Once the bauble has reached the optimum size, probably the size of a wee grapefruit you have to tap the top of the brass tube you've been blowing through and the tap somehow gently breaks the bauble off. It is no longer 'red hot' but blue by now. An extra bit of molten glass goes to seal the top off and creates a loop. And that was it! Took about 20 minutes but an exceedingly enjoyable 20 minutes. To be honest, until I came here I don't think I'd ever seen glass being blown but I'd have loved to stay and watch the real artisans at work.

It's not possible to take your 'work of art' or unique creation home with you straightaway. Got to give the glass time to cool down. But, after a couple of days waiting, my own and Stewart's arrived safely through the post today. And I'm well chuffed with them!  If you're interested, and near Bristol, I can thoroughly recommend this place. So friendly and professional. The Original Bristol Blue Glass Company, Bath Road.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

THE FINAL HUZZAH PART TWO: DONE: 50 THINGS BEFORE I'M 50 - CHALLENGE COMPLETED - So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

50 BEFORE 50 - DONE!   Ticked off, completed, done and dusted. April 2017 I loudly and brazenly proclaimed to Facebook my intention of c...